Student | Pippa Roth-Biester
If you’re like me and you spent at least one year at Uni without a kitchen in your accommodation, these recipes are really good. These 3 recipes are to help you create meals in a few minutes, even if you don’t have access to a stove, as all you need is a microwave.
Ingredients: Pack of instant noodles; hot water
- Take the dry noodles out of the packet and place them into the bowl
- Cover the noodles with boiling water and put them in the microwave
- Microwave for 3 mins, taking them out and stirring them halfway through
- Remove them from the microwave and tip out the water
- Put the seasonings on the top of the now cooked noodles and mix
Mac and Cheese
Ingredients: 1/2 cup macaroni; 1/2 cup water; pinch of salt & pepper; splash of milk; 1/4 cup cheese
- Put the macaroni, water, and a pinch of salt into a mug
- Microwave for 2-3 mins (until water is absorbed)
- Take out and stir
- Add splash of milk, cheese, and pepper
Ingredients: 2 eggs; 1/2 green & red bell pepper; 2 slices ham; 1/4 cup spinach; pinch of salt & pepper
- Place all ingredients into a large mug and mix it all up
It’s important to keep yourself relatively healthy, and for those who are starting to get a bit sick of dining hall food, these recipes can be handy. After googling for a while there are loads more recipes to be found that can be made in a microwave. Though it could be handy to find a panini maker or toastie machine to keep in your room. Just make sure to keep your windows open when cooking as you don’t want the smoke to set off the fire alarm! An investment that could be worth your while is a small brown pouch that you can put in a toaster to create toasties if you don’t want to invest in a machine.
A prime maker is called Toastabag. With 50 uses per bag, make a sandwich, slot it in the bag, and put it into the toaster as if you were just making some toast, and once it pops up it’ll be a toasted sandwich! Easily purchasable off of Amazon for about £3, it’s definitely worth it if you’re bored of your current cuisine.