Match Report: Mens Basketball V Surrey

Treasurer of Basketball | Ieuan Greaves

Royal Holloway, Sports Centre | 24 October | 16:15

Men’s Basketball secured their first win of the season against local rivals Surrey in intense fashion after scoring in the dying seconds of the match to win 75-74.

The game started off fast with Surrey getting the best of the opening exchanges, which meant that they went into the break with the lead.

However, a run at the end of the third and beginning of the fourth quarter punctuated by stern team defence and strong inside play ensured spectators were in for thrilling climax.

Holloway fought back to find themselves just inches away from securing the win with two minutes left on the clock.

Alex Fuhr then stepped up to take the winning shot. It ricocheted in to put Holloway ahead by one point.

With now only 16 seconds left with Surrey in possession of the ball. A great defensive play meant that Surrey couldn’t get a shot up, and the clock expired, with Royal Holloway winning by 1.

Captain and match winner Alex Fuhr, who’s clutch steal ensured victory, said after the game: “It was a hard-fought win, we were trailing for most of the game but never lost control. It was only our second game of the season so we are still working on improving our team chemistry.

“In the second half and especially the 4th quarter the whole team stepped up and we came up clutch in the last 2 minuets of the game to win it by 1”.

The team’s next fixtures are away to bottom placed Imperial on the November 7thand then Hertfordshire the following week before returning home to play Bath on the 21st.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s